Tragic accident at Tour de France 2021 – perpetrator of crash in police custody
A female fan who knocked over almost the entire peloton during the first stage (26 June) of this year’s Tour de France was arrested and then placed in police custody in Landerneau on Wednesday 30 June, according to France’s RTL.
June 30, 2021
Tour de France 2021 – stage 1 accident (Brest > Landerneau)
On Saturday 26 June, during the first stage of the Tour de France, a spectator waving her cardboard banner caused dozens of riders in the peloton to fall. Touru deputy director Pierre-Yves Thouault said Touru management had filed a complaint against the person responsible. According to RTL, she was arrested and placed in police custody in Landerneau.
On Saturday afternoon 45 kilometres from the finish of the first stage of the race from Brest to Landerneau, a spectator who wanted to show her cardboard sign on television snagged one of the riders. As a result, German Jumbo-Visma rider Tony Martin collided with the placard, after which the other riders bumped into him.
The next day, Sunday, the Finistère gendarmerie announced the opening of a judicial investigation into the accident.
List of rider injuries after crash at Tour de France 2021
- Benoît Cosnefroy (France/AG2R-Citroën) – bruises.
- Chris Froome (Great Britain/Israel Start-Up Nation) – bruises on left leg and chest.
- Jesus Herrada (Spain/Cofidis) – bruises to pelvis and right thigh.
- Marc Hirschi (Switzerland/ UAE) – shoulder dislocation.
- Reto Hollenstein (Switzerland/Israel Start-Up Nation) – bruises.
- Tim Merlier (Belgium/Alpecin-Fenix) – wounds on both knees, abrasions on right ankle, bruises on right thigh.
- Ben O’Connor (Australia/AG2R-Citroën) – wounds to right arm and shoulder. Twelve stitches.
- Aurélien Paret-Peintre (France/AG2R-Citroën) – bruises.
- Mads Pedersen (Denmark/Trek-Segafredo) – bruises.
- Mike Teunissen (Netherlands/Jumbo) – bruises.
- Pierre-Luc Périchon (France/Cofidis) – twelve stitches in the left leg.
- Clément Russo (France/Arkea-Samsic) – cracked rib.
- Marc Soler (Spain/Movistar) – three broken ribs – has withdrawn.
- Jasha Sütterlin (Germany/DSM) – wounds to right wrist and elbow – has withdrawn.
- Ignatas Konovalovas (Lithuania/Groupama-FDJ) – concussion with loss of consciousness – WITHDRAWN
- Cyril Lemoine (France/B&B Hotels) – four broken ribs, collapsed lung – WITHDRAWN.
Leave A Comment